Thursday, March 2, 2023

Mom, you were right.

"Mom, I have to tell you that you were right."  That's how the phone call from Hope began this evening.  Breathless, she explained how she could hear a lot of cat noise under her house.  A mama cat had gone into the basement and given birth to five kittens.  

Early this morning, she began hearing a lot of meowing and other noises.  Initially, she thought it was something outside, maybe a stray trying to get into her house to aggravate her male cat.  Hope has two cats:  Woof and Puppy.  Puppy is the male and is almost 9 months old.  He has begun to show his feisty dominance when animals from outdoors approach the windows.  As the morning stretched out and Hope was getting ready for work, she decided the noises were coming from under her home.  

She has this huge metal cover that acts as a door to her basement.  This metal contraption is 4-5 feet wide and at least 10 feet long.  It is super heavy.  It lays over the stairs that go down into the basement.  When Hope first moved in, she had me helping.  One of the things I told her was she needed to have the door cut so that it would lay flush with the concrete border.  I told her if she left it with that big gap that she would definitely have animals taking shelter under her home, possibly tearing stuff up.  Her furnace and water heater are located there.  We had a maintenance man scheduled, but she had rescheduled a couple of times and finally, decided to not have the man come out at all.  She has now decided to have him come out as soon as possible.

She decided to go down into the basement and check out what was there.  The mama cat and kittens were easy to gather up.  Hope put them in the portable carrier she has and set them up in a kennel in her spare bedroom.  They are all isolated from her two cats in case the mama cat hasn't been vetted.  Hope has plans to take the little family to the vet in the next day or two.  She has them on several waiting lists for rescues in her area.  That way, they won't end up in a kill shelter.  She is so proud to be taking care of this little cat family.  I know God knew where to direct that little mama cat.  He knew they would find safety with Hope.

I may have been right about the basement cover.  More than that, I am proud of Hope and her huge heart.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first test as parents of older children; when they get their own pets and homes. How much do we say about what could go wrong? Not too much because it could actually turn out all right. It's a lesson I'm still learning. I'm proud of you and your daughter. I love stories that end with kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My daughter and I are two peas in a pod. However, I am still learning, too. My daughter-in-law and son are the ones where I am mute. Being the evil MIL is real, even though I am a terribly nice person. Who knew!?

      Delete