Sunday, March 8, 2020

A Taste to Remember

The day had turned out much like a warm spring day at home.  The showers having passed with the wind blowing strongly, bringing the sunshine with it, Hope and I exited the Palace grounds and began our walk to the train station.  It's not too far, maybe a mile, but I am strolling along trying to store all that I see in my mental bank.

Green trees line the streets.  The sun shines smartly down on our heads, but it is a welcome respite from the cool showers of the morning.  Wide, shaded sidewalks make their way down the hill to the little shops we had passed that morning on our way to the Palace of Versailles.  What a beautiful city!  It feels as it we have stepped back in time.

"Is it still open?  I have to try one from this city, too,"  I tell Hope.  She is worried we will miss the train back to Paris.  "I'll be quick!"  I duck into the tiny macarons shop.  Up on the top shelf is a flavor I haven't seen yet so I buy two.  The owner assures me they are the best.

Stepping back onto the sidewalk, I open the tiny brown bag and take out a salted caramel macaron.  It has to be the ugliest one I have seen so far.  With black crumbles that look like bits of pepper covering the outside, the macaron has a light greyish shell.  I sniff it and look at Hope.  She gives me a sour look.  It's been a long day, and I am walking at a leisurely pace.  She's wanting to sprint.  I take a tiny bite and stop in my tracks.  Closing my eyes, I moan and rub my tongue all over the roof of my mouth, swallowing regretfully as that bite is gone.  I am in heaven!  Oh the creaminess, the smooth caramel with just the right smidge of salt, and of course the crunch adds the final touch.

Hope is several paces in front of me.  "Are you sure you don't want a bite?"  I ask her.

"Mom, come on!"

As I pick up the pace, I savor the final bites of these two unforgettable cookies, making a mental note to find a replica at the next macaron shop I pass.  Believe it or not, those were a unique experience.  Throughout the week, Hope and I had many macarons but never two as satisfying as those.

We did make it to the train station with time to spare, happy we decided to take this unforgettable day trip.

2 comments:

  1. "Closing my eyes, I moan and rub my tongue all over the roof of my mouth, swallowing regretfully as that bite is gone." Your first time love affair with the macaron! I won't tell a soul! This post is extremely entertaining. Thank you for inviting me into your very memorable moment. I can almost taste it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE macarons. What a scrumptious slice.

    ReplyDelete